Sunday, November 28, 2004

Teaching and Learning with MMOs

Teaching and learning in a Massively Multiplayer Online game (MMO) environment is different than that of a real-world classroom. The following is a discussion of why this statement is true utilizing Merrill’s five components of effective instruction, educational theory and examples from my own gaming experience.

Merrill listed the following components as effective methods for instruction:
Learning is facilitated when learners are engaged in solving real-world problems.
Learning is facilitated when existing knowledge is activated as a foundation for new knowledge.
Learning is facilitated when new knowledge is demonstrated to the learner.
Learning is facilitated when new knowledge is applied by the learner.
Learning is facilitated when new knowledge is integrated into the learner's world.

This list resonates with my personal epistemic beliefs because I believe in the tradition of constructivism and learning by doing. Merrill’s list contains some of the philosophies posited by educational theorists such as Dewey, Ausubel, and Bruner. All of these theorists tout a general belief that learning comes about as we construct our own understanding of the world in which we live through personal experience and reflection. This type of learning cannot take place in an inert educational setting where the learner is seen as passive, and information is transmitted in a decontextualized setting. Learning is best gained via hands-on experiences, problem-solving, and the cognitive development of causal relationships. Most classroom settings do not foster this type of education. In this setting, it is difficult to foster instructional methodologies that are learner centered that support constructivist learning. However, virtual settings such as MMOs, can support learning that is learner-centered.

In a virtual environment a learner does not have the same time and physical constraints as one would have in a real classroom setting. In an MMO, a learner is able to learn according to their own orientation. It was my experience in Lineage that I could address different aspects of the game as I felt comfortable in doing so. This was very helpful for me; I was able to learn without the stress of keeping up with my peers. In addition, I was able to seek tutorial advice when I needed it. In Lineage there was a great tutorial that I could take at my own pace and return to as needed. Another great aspect of the game was that I could explore and experience the environment according to my instincts and at any time I could consult with a NPC to help guide my efforts when I needed assistance.

Another attractive component of MMOs for the learner is the multiple opportunities for engagement with cause and effect scenarios where one can learn and build their skills for the game. This allows the user to practice their readout strategies over and over and modify their methods as necessary. This allowance for practice isn’t always possible to do in a real-life setting. In my experience, I was grateful that I was able to be resurrected after the first time I was killed. And to my relief, I came alive again after every death. I was grateful for this opportunity to correct my wrongdoings in previous acts. This would be a great attribute for learning if it could be fostered and supported in a real-life setting.

In Lineage, users can learn to solve problems by addressing real issues related to survival in the game. They are able to learn according to assimilation or schema theory where the user incorporates new knowledge into their current understandings of how their environment works, virtual or real. Because users are able to quickly apply their new knowledge, the successful application of such can be integrated into the learner’s world.

1 Comments:

Blogger CHIA Howie (Xie Aowei) 谢 傲 威 said...

Hi Kami,

It’s great that you liked the game! I too felt that the online avatars were very helpful, but unlike you, I got frustrated with trying to keep up with my 'peers'. Peers meaning the other thousand of players online who have managed to join a blood pledge...

The NPC could only guide one so far. Unlike AOE, where I could learn to examine strategies in battle play, I found lineage more of a treasure hunt... gathering commodities and trading inventories just to get to the level where you can participate in a real joint battle. But so much emphasis is placed on gathering those odds and ends... what happens should someone release a patch that made the demon amour that took 100 hours to get suddenly become obsolete? That was a real incentive killer.

In my other online multi-player strategy games like AOE or star craft, when a tactic gets too strong, it is also 'patched up'. like the infamous 'marine rush', or 'reaver drop'... So, in essence nothing escapes the threat of 'Nerfs' (Burke, June 2002)

Lastly, I don't think that one learn real life skills by solving problems in lineage (digging my grave here). Are people that friendly in real life? What about the trust/identity factors? Repercussions of making mistakes? Are you able to restart/ delete everything/ start afresh without implications (so, you drop an item... big deal)?

It’s a no brainer that teamwork equals easier game play. But what of the payoffs? Marion has an interesting post (read $100) that postulates your last question a little further...

rgds,
BH
Ps+ dead link on your 'readout strategies'...

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home