Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Lowdown on Mashups!

My students and I are investigating the educational use of "mashups" in dental hygiene. The use of podcasting and vlogcasting has become mainstream practice for educators to present students with classroom information. Conversely, students have started to create their own pod and vlogcasts for both personal and/or academic gains. With the creation of YouTube, students are able to post their created media to the web and get a variety of responses. As such, a new phenomenon has developed where people are utilizing the existing media available on YouTube and redeveloping it into something new or better than the original. This reworking of existing media has been dubbed a “mashup.” Our investigation into “mashups” has been centered on the ease at which they can be created, the potential gain in esoteric knowledge of mashup content and the educational benefits of student created mashups.

We have discovered that it is not so easy to use other people's videos on YouTube as we had assumed. As such, we have had to go to other websites that have less restrictions on the use of content. We discovered jumpcut which allows users to copy and grab the video of other members to edit. We created a very simple rudimentary dental hygiene mashup there and would like you to see it. Follow the link: brushing mashup. Tell us what you think!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Obergs said...

Kami, you're back!! I would like to start off by telling you that i really enjoyed your clip of Happy Feet 300. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie, so to see it put to dancing penguins really made my day.

I'm so sorry to hear about you and Frank, I hope it was an amicable break-up, because if he hurt you in any way, he's going to have to answer to plenty of dental hygienists...it will be scary. But in good news, now that you have more time on your hands, we can go out to lunch.

I really enjoyed your mashup. I think you will find it funny that the previous mashup you posted on your blog was done by our elders quorum president and our home teacher. What a small world eh?

P.S. (I still really need my teeth cleaned and I don't know of anyone else I'd rather have do it. I've tried doing it myself, but talk about incorrect angulation. I think I've just burnished all the calc)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Now I am amazed because I have no idea what a mashup is and just last year I thought I was cutting edge! Well, it is good to see that you are keeping the students on top of their technological toes!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Weston & Jennie said...

Is this the one and only Kami Hanson that teaches at WSU? This is Jennie Barney. Actually, I think that you would know me better as "Huffy". I just saw Aimee Butler last night and she told me that you had a blog. I just had to check it out and see what you you've been up to. I hope that you don't mind. How is life? Looks like things are well. Good to see you!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Hale yeah! said...

Super jealous you got he Adobe suite 3! I must say I haven't used it as much being out of school but when I do use it want the CS3!!!!! I want to get the ilife update also. I want the new imovie. Basically I want a new Mac even though mine is only 2 yrs. old. I will just buy the new one with a huge screen :) Hope all is well and hope you enjoy the CS3!

2:33 PM  
Blogger BreAnna said...

I really want to read more about this and follow the links but the computer in my op. wont let me take links (I guess they want me to work in here or something :o) I will look at it when I am home and give you my feedback (because I know you are waiting with bated breath :o). I am so grateful you are always keeping me on my toes!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hey Kami,
Your mashup was very impressive:) It is good to read up on you! Hope time is healing your wounds! Happy holidays!
Melissa

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home