Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Reading, Reading, Reading

It was fun over the Christmas break to have the time to follow-up on reading and topic paths that I wanted to further investigate.  I posted lately on the book "The World if Flat" which is a must read for the decade.  Well, after reading that I followed up with "The Shock Doctrine" which is pretty much the antithesis of the first book.  It was interested to read these books concomitantly because each text provided dramatically different viewpoints of the same world events and economic climates.  This left me with a million unanswered questions about right/wrong, capitalism/government intervention, globalization/isolationism, foreign policy/state of the union and who should be the next president of the United States.

I decided to read Alan Greenspan's "Age of Turbulence" to get some answers and another perspective.  While Greenspan's book is interesting, it did not provide the answers that I wanted.  I have even considered emailing Greenspan to have him clarify some issues.  I think that he tried to be too politically correct that it prevented him from getting to the meat of anything in the body of his book.  In any case, Greenspan kept mentioning Ayn Rand and her literary works and philosophies.  As a result, I turned to reading her most famous books starting with "The Fountainhead" and then her magnum opus "Atlas Shrugged."  Wow, never have a read a book that was so timely and relevant to the issues that our nation faces today.  I recommend reading both books if you have time.  In fact, I wonder what Ayn would say about John Edwards and Huckabee.  It is interesting to hear their platforms in light of the concern for socialization and government sponsored welfare that Ayn proports and for that matter Thomas Friedman in "The World is Flat."  So, while I still need to do some more historical research on clarifying some of the world economic events that I have concerns about, Ayn Rand has provided me with some much needed philosophical background to understand the issues presented in the most recent books I have read.  In addition, it as helped me to clarify what I am looking for in my next president.

I can't wait until I have another break from teaching and school, for now I am back to reading that which is necessary.  However, I am finishing up a fun book called "The Black Swan" which I am almost done with and will be my last read for awhile.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Obergs said...

concomitantly.... Kami, you kill me! I will say this, you definitely keep me caught up on my vocabulary. So my eyes are burning from reading your blog. I think it's the little white lines on a black background because I can still the little white lines while I'm writing this. My current read is Les Mis and I am bored out of my mind. Seriously, I love the play and the movie and the soundtrack and the storyline, but for some reason, even 300 pages into the book, I just can't get into it. I'm going to stick with it until I'm done though....

6:27 PM  
Blogger BreAnna said...

Oooo this is a great list, I can't believe how much you read, I read two books and thought I was going book crazy, thanks for the recommendations, I will definately check them out I am always looking for books, I love to find ones I would have never selected on my own. one day when I am back we shall start a book club and crystal can veto the first book being Les Mis!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! I am never left unamazed with you. I thought I was doing pretty well to have gotten The Kite Runner finished. Have you read it? I really loved it. I read your post about globalization though and found it very interesting. I should check out some of those books.

1:38 PM  
Blogger cheeks said...

i'm with crystal...and that "C" word! It made me smile and think about Anatomy or other classes when i would frequently look around the classroom to see if anyone else looked confused with your choice of words, then look at melissa and start laughing! At least then i would try to spell it and look it up in a dictionary...now i just think of you as a higher being :) ha ha ha (one day i might know 1/8 of what you do!)

10:11 AM  
Blogger cheeks said...

PS...how does one become a reader? I have never loved it...ever since the 3rd grade when we were forced to read 20 minutes/night. Was it because it was always an assignment? What's wrong with me? I never seem to stay that interested, so i just fall asleep...I even tried DaVinci Code because everyone said i would never put it down...i read through chapter 10 and was done. I wish i liked to read...

10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No phone call from the guy yet or e-mail? Did he get chicken??

7:03 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

It's just like you to read those kind of books! I guess I prefer trashy novels and vampire books.

It was good to hear from you. At least I know I can stay up to date on my current events and dental hygiene through your blog. Why don't I ever see you at any dental meetings?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Tatiana said...

Kami,

We have a problem, when I went to the link of bloggers, where there used to be links to blogs of dh students from the past, there is now only a list of the 2009 class. Did you put it in a new place?
Please let me know!
-Tatiana

2:14 PM  
Blogger Justin & Ashlee said...

Hey Kami,
Just wanted to say hi. I came across Jess' blog and now I am linking to everyone. It is so fun to read up on everyone. Being on the small island of Grenada, I have A LOT of spare time. Good to see you kind of, Ashlee (Reeder) Ward

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home