Monday, November 24, 2008

Proprietary Programs

I keep wanting to post and have a lot to comment on but have been sooo busy.  However, I feel that my post today must be on proprietary dental hygiene programs.  Why do I hate them with such vehemence?  I guess that it begins with the hegemonic hold that the ADA has over dental hygiene.  We do not regulate ourselves and so we must suffer with whatever the ADA cooks up.  This time they have decided that any Joe Blow dentist can open his/her own dental hygiene program anywhere at anytime.  This is disgusting, a hygienist can't open their own program, but a dentist, without any background in education can open a program and pack it with students (after all, it is all about making money).  These new business owners do not have any obligation to the dental hygiene profession.  My concerns of course are centered on quality clinicians, contributing professionals and the fact that graduating grossly huge numbers of dental hygienists does impact the workforce.

At a time when we are fighting for dental hygienists to gain more responsibility and increase the education level for entry into the profession, these strip front mall institutions serve to enforce a lower level of education and respect for the profession.  Our jobs and education are now analogous to nail technicians and beauticians who get their degree or certificate at a strip mall.  The existence of proprietary programs undermines and invalidates the degrees that we have worked so hard to get in the past and those that will be awarded in the future.

8 Comments:

Blogger BreAnna said...

Amen! Sometimes I want to say "oh no, your mistaken, you're not a real hygienist" to students or temps I work with from programs like this, I know that is so rude, but it really offends me when someones education was all in the name of speed and money and has no heart whatsoever behind it! Things I am grateful for this Thanksgiving...GRADUATING FROM A UNIVERSITY!! and being from Weber is just icing on my big fat conceded cake!

10:17 AM  
Blogger The Obergs said...

Here, Here! Kami, you put all of my feelings perfectly into words. I'm going to bookmark this post so that I can show it to anyone who wonders why I hate proprietary programs. So is there still nothing that we can do about it???

10:18 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

As usual, very well said! Couldn't agree with you more! When the dr. I worked for put an ad out for a hygienist he received 20+ resumes. CONCERNING! Makes me a little worried about ever being able to get a hygiene job again!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Justin & Ashlee said...

I totally agree. It makes me so nervous to go back to the states and get a job. I get so mad when these hygienists from those programs think they are so knowledgable when they probably didn't do half as much as we had to to graduate. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that what I have earned is so much better.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Em said...

is there another opening in UT?

6:46 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hey. Just came across your blog. Sweet. Now I can find out all the nitty gritty. :) We have a blog too. Send me your e-mail and I'll invite you. I'm adding you to mine. :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Camisha Gollaher said...

Kami Kami Kami-I'm glad to know someone with such a title as you, to say this! I have had so many people try to encourage me to attend other schools, to get through hygiene ASAP. I am patiently waiting for my husband to get through school, and then I will attend & succeed in the one and only dental hygiene program I have EVER had a desire & such respect for at- Weber State University!!! It bothers me to hear so many people say "If they can pass boards, & get their license, that's what matters." Well, that's NOT what matters. I am with you 100%, and I deal with it a little, but nothing like you do.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post, but I give you a standing ovation for your blog post. I agree with you 100%!

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home